To recognize creativity and highlight excellence in UHPC design, manufacture or placement, up to a maximum of five (5) Ultra-High Performance Concrete Innovation Awards will be given in the categories of Buildings and Infrastructure or additional categories the Judges deem appropriate.
The UHPC Building Innovation Award will highlight the application of UHPC elements in buildings or assemblies such as columns, façades, partitions or other architectural systems. Examples include UHPC employed for a strictly architectural, ornamental or artistic purpose or as part of a structural system with an aesthetic component.
The UHPC Infrastructure Innovation Award will focus on UHPC applications that operate primarily in a functional system. Examples include UHPC applied in a building’s structural system, bridge or bridge element, closure pour, foundation, pier, pavement, barrier/railing, security element or pipeline.
The Judges at their discretion may create one or more additional categories. Regardless of category, UHPC Innovation Awards will be presented not only based on the merits of the project but also on how well the nominee documents the process for employing UHPC.
March 1, 2019
The UHPC Building Innovation Award will be presented to the entry that best details how it:
- Utilizes UHPC as a key feature to an architectural assembly, or
- Utilizes UHPC in an innovative or non-typical structural application in building construction, or
- Features UHPC as a piece of art or display
- Special consideration to be given to projects using UHPC to provide a finish, color or texture.
The UHPC Infrastructure Innovation Award will be presented to the entry that best details how it:
- Utilizes UHPC as a structural element, or
- Makes use of UHPC as a functional component that takes advantage of UHPC’s special performance attributes.
- Special consideration to be given to projects that utilize UHPC to provide a unique solution to an engineering or structural design problem.
Structures that employ UHPC materials completed from Jan 1, 2016 to Feb. 28, 2019 are eligible for the submission process. The completion date is when the project was deemed to be “substantially complete”. A single submission for any one project will be accepted; first come, first served. Submission materials must be received by the published deadline. Winning projects will be determined by a panel of qualified Judges selected for their expertise in design, construction, concrete and architectural or structural applications. The decision of the Judges is final.
Individuals or groups submitting entries to the competition must be willing to attend the award ceremony during the UHPC Symposium in Albany, NY in June 4, 2019. All entries will have their abstracts published in the Symposium Proceedings with winning submissions made available to the public via press releases promoting the winning entries.
Each submission must:
- Complete the Innovation Award Registration Form. Form includes a 500 word maximum project/application description that will be published by the Symposium organizers.
- Submit five to ten photographs per entry (no photo collages).
- Entrants have the option to submit one to four Shop Drawings, Details or Renderings.
- Sign Innovation Awards Waiver form allowing the UHPC Symposium to republish at no cost images and submitted materials.
- Submit all entry documents by March 1, 2019.
- June 15, 2018 – UHPC Innovation Awards Announced
- September 15, 2018 – Entry submission site open
- March 1, 2019 – Entry submission site closed
- May 1, 2019 – Notification of winning entries
- June 2, 2019 – Begin 2nd International Interactive Symposium on UHPC
- June 4, 2019 – Award Winners Announced at the Symposium Gala